The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time, experienced project manager for our Green Ports and Shipping Project, to be based in NRDC's Beijing office. The project seeks to help China prevent and control emissions of air and climate pollutants from ships and ports and curb the impacts on human health, by providing policy and technical recommendations to build clean and low-carbon ports and shipping industry in China.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international environmental organization, combining the power of more than two million members and online activists with the expertise of nearly 500 scientists, lawyers, policy advocates, and other professionals across the globe to advance policy solutions for the planet and its people around the world. NRDC works in countries including the United States, China, India, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, and the EU.
NRDC's China Program is at the forefront of supporting China's efforts on energy efficiency, renewable energy, climate change and environmental protection. We are proud to have collaborated with many academic, governmental, and non-governmental partners around the country to help accelerate these efforts.
The China Green Ports and Shipping Project Manager (PM) will be responsible for overall project administration and implementation, and coordination of project partners, including government agencies, research institutes, think tanks, and universities, on the research, design, and implementation of policy for greening the ports and shipping in China. With support from the project team, the PM will be responsible for leading or supporting the project team to carry out studies, coordinating partners and subgrantees on organization of outreach activities, management of research proposals and contracting, communication of research results. The PM will develop and manage effective internal processes on strategic planning for the project, annual work plans, grant reporting, budget and expense monitoring, and coordination with the Program Assistant and Finance and Development teams in NRDC's head office on payments, contracting, and other related issues. The Project Manager will be based in NRDC's Beijing Office and report to the Senior Strategic Director, Asia and the Senior Director for China.
• Lead the process of strategic planning and design for the project and developing proposals, budgets and work plans, with support from the project team; assist fund-raising for potential new proposals related to green and low-carbon transport.
• Support team members to carry out studies related to green ports and shipping, and broader transport system, and/ or lead research on these topics as needed.
• Lead partnership building with government agencies, research institutes, think tanks, and non-profit organizations in China and support other team members to build partnership with stakeholders abroad.
• Organize outreach activities, including but not limited to meetings with partners, workshops/seminars, study tours and media events.
• Prepare interim and grant reports to project funders and any other reports required for NRDC China program.
• Monitor project budget and expenditures based on regular coordination with the Program Assistant and Finance and Development teams in NRDC's head office.
• Manage research proposals, contracts and payments for subgrantees; monitor partner progress; ensure on-time reporting and delivery of research results; and address any challenges to project implementation in a timely manner.
• Work with project team members and NRDC’s Communications team to develop communication materials related to the project and related research.
• Work with other members of NRDC's China Program and US colleagues to enhance NRDC's research and advocacy efforts related to green transport, low-carbon and energy efficiency.
• Advanced degree in environmental policy or science, management, transport policy and management, or other related field.
• Successful past experience (5 or more years) and strong ability in managing multi-partner transport/environmental policy research projects in China. Experience working in the public and/or non‐profit sector preferable. Work experience in transport sector is an asset.
• Experience with project management, including proposal writing, budgeting, expense tracking, and grant reporting.
• Self-motivated, with strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize them to meet deadlines.
• Solid understanding of transport and environmental challenges and policies in China, especially those related to transport air pollution and carbon emissions, including regulations, programs and technologies for clean and low-carbon ships, ports and vehicles.
• Broad knowledge of impacts of transport emissions on the environment, human health and climate and international best practices of green transport system, and the ability to analyze the policy and institutional gaps and how to fill in the gaps by customizing international experiences in China’s context.
• Experience working cooperatively with stakeholders from government, research institutes, universities, companies, and NGOs.
• Strong interpersonal skills and work as a team player.
• Strong Chinese and English language skills, including the ability to communicate and write persuasively in both languages.
• Experience working with Excel, Word and PowerPoint for project management and communications.
• Care for details, accuracy and high-quality outputs.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please no phone calls, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. In your cover letter, please reference where you saw this posting.