The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time program associate for our China Oil Cap Policy Project, to be based in NRDC's Beijing office. The project seeks to help China to peak and reduce its oil consumption as early as possible in two key sectors, i.e. transportation and the chemicals industry, by providing policy and technical recommendations to accelerate the transition from fossil fuels to clean energy.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international environmental organization, combining the power of more than two million members and online supporters with the expertise of over 500 scientists, lawyers, policy advocates, and other professionals to advance policy solutions for climate and environmental protection.
NRDC's China Program is at the forefront of supporting China's efforts on energy efficiency, renewable energy development, and environmental protection. We are proud to have collaborated with a wide range of local partners to help accelerate these efforts.
The Program Associate (PA) for China Oil Cap Project will report to the Oil Cap Project Manager and work in the project team to ensure effective implementation of the project and achievement of the goals. The PA will be based in NRDC's Beijing office and will be an integral part of NRDC's China Program.
- Support the Oil Cap Project Manager in project implementation, including reviewing research proposals, managing contracts and payments for subgrantees, ensuring on-time progress and quality financial reporting by subgrantees, facilitating effective communications and coordination among project partners; carrying out administrative tasks for the project, and addressing any challenges to project implementation in collaboration with the team.
- Work closely with local partners to monitor progress on project activities and deliverables, including regular communications with partners, and organizing and participating in research progress review meetings every 2-3 months.
- Assist the Project Manager with building and maintaining relationships with funders, help provide supporting materials for fundraising, and help prepare NRDC's progress and finance reports to project funders.
- Monitor project expenditures and ensure proper controls and smooth invoicing and payment to subgrantees upon satisfactory completion of deliverables.
- Work with project team members and subgrantees to develop reports and communication materials related to project research and recommendations.
- Work with other members of NRDC's China Program and US colleagues to enhance NRDC's research and advocacy efforts related to oil consumption reduction policies, electric vehicles, and related energy and environmental policy.
- Provide input on research activities and identify research challenges. Seek input from experts on project goals, methodology and outputs.
- Communicate analysis and policy recommendations to Chinese policymakers, research institutes, industry, experts, and other relevant parties, to support the development of a comprehensive oil cap policy in China.
- Assist with research on policies needed to support a national oil consumption cap policy in China, focusing on the transportation and petrochemical sectors, as well as relevant subnational oil cap policies.
- Actively participate in and contribute to the work of China Program as needed and strive for teamwork, high performance and accountability.
- Master's Degree in energy, environmental policy or science, or another related field and 1-2 years of working experience in a related field or organization. Experience working in the public and/or non‐profit sector desired.
- Self-motivated, with strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize them to meet deadlines.
- Solid policy and technical understanding of energy and environmental issues, including energy policy and technology; environmental impacts of oil use, including air, soil, and water pollution and GHG emissions; and electric vehicle/automobile industry.
- Broad knowledge of clean energy and climate change policy in China, and the ability to analyze how policies can be improved, including through adoption and adaptation of international best practices and technologies.
- Experience working cooperatively with stakeholders from government, research institutes, universities, companies, and NGOs. Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
- Strong Chinese and English language skills, including the ability to communicate, research, translate and preferably write persuasively in both languages.
- Experience working with Excel, Word and Powerpoint for project management and communications. Experience with graphic design and email newsletter management a plus.
- Care for details, accuracy and high-quality output.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. In your cover letter, please reference where you saw this posting.