The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time Program Assistant for our Energy and Climate team to be based in NRDC's Beijing office.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 3 million members and online supporters. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world's natural resources, public health, and the environment. NRDC works in countries and regions including the United States, China, India, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, and the European Union.
For two decades, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has been a thought leader and trusted adviser to our partners in China. With a highly effective team of more than 40 based in our Beijing office, we have worked hard at both the national and local levels to recommend, develop, and help implement innovative laws, policies, technologies, and market tools that curb pollution and accelerate China's transition to a clean, low-carbon economy. NRDC's Beijing Representative Office is registered under the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau and supervised by the State Forestry and Grassland Administration of China.
The China Coal Policy Project Program Assistant (PA) will be responsible for helping the project team with project administration and subgrantee management. The PA will help with project administration including organization of project research meetings and conferences, collection and organization of project progress and financial reports from research partners, oral and written communications with research partners, processing of invoices, and tracking of project expenditures. The PA will also assist in relevant policy research and translation and developing materials to communicate project research results.
The Program Assistant will be based in NRDC's Beijing office and will be an integral part of the NRDC China climate and energy team.
• Help to monitor partner progress and ensure on-time delivery of deliverables, and coordinate with and ensure effective communication and collaboration among project partners.
• Assist the Project Manager with the management of proposals, contracts and deliverables, collection of quarterly progress and expenditure reports from each research partner, and reporting on half-year project progress and finance reports for the project funders.
• Work closely with research partners to monitor progress on project activities and deliverables, including regular communications with partners, and organizing and participating in research progress review meetings every 2-3 months.
• Participate in ongoing working group meetings to monitor and track project progress, and help to organize steering committee, research working group and other project team meetings.
• Ensure proper invoicing and payment to research partners upon satisfactory completion of deliverables.
• Help with reports, issue papers, fact sheets and blogs on coal cap project research by subgrantees as well as other relevant coal cap policy developments and studies.
• Work with project team members to develop and produce communication materials and publications for distribution as needed.
• Work with the other members of NRDC's China Program and US colleagues to enhance NRDC's research and advocacy efforts and expertise on energy and environmental policy.
• Strive for teamwork, high performance and accountability.
• Master’s Degree in in energy, environmental policy or science, or a related field. Experience working in the public and/or non-profit sector desired.
• Experience working with Excel, Word and PowerPoint for project management and communications. Experience with graphic design and email newsletter management a plus.
• Excellent research and writing skills in both Mandarin and English, including the ability to communicate, research, translate and preferably write persuasively in both languages.
• Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
• Broad knowledge of clean energy and climate change policy in China, and the ability to analyze how policies can be improved, including through adoption and adaptation of international best practices and technologies.
• Ability to work cooperatively with stakeholders, including government representatives and researchers, universities, companies, and NGOs. Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
• Care for details, accuracy and high-quality output.
• Self-motivated, and able to work in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure managing multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please send an email with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com.