The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time Communications Consultant for our Energy and Climate team to be based in NRDC's Beijing office.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 3 million members and online supporters. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world's natural resources, public health, and the environment. NRDC works in countries and regions including the United States, China, India, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, and the European Union.
For two decades, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has been a thought leader and trusted adviser to our partners in China. With a highly effective team of more than 40 based in our Beijing office, we have worked hard at both the national and local levels to recommend, develop, and help implement innovative laws, policies, technologies, and market tools that curb pollution and accelerate China's transition to a clean, low-carbon economy. NRDC's Beijing Representative Office is registered under the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau and supervised by the State Forestry and Grassland Administration of China.
The Communications Consultant will be responsible for leading communications of the project research and findings to external stakeholders, media and the public, including policymakers, industry representatives, academics and NGOs, and traditional and social media. The Communications Consultant will develop a strategy for communicating the project findings and insights for maximum impact, develop factsheets and other materials needed to communicate project findings, and manage the development of media pieces on energy-related issues.
The Communications Consultant will be based in NRDC's Beijing office and will be an integral part of the NRDC China climate and energy team and communications team, reporting to the China Communications Director. The initial term will be one year, with possibility for renewal.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy to achieve the project goals. This would include using various communication channels and leveraging issues of public interest. This would also include developing a plan for a communications push at different stages of the project, increasing in intensity as the project progresses.
• Develop communications materials for the project team, including but not limited to, website content, factsheets, and short summaries of project analysis, press release, that present analysis and recommendations from project reports into digestible, public-oriented communications.
• Engage key stakeholders, including policymakers, local governments and key sectors and industry associations to develop support for energy and environmental policy advocacy. This would include maintaining frequent contact with key stakeholders and strategically disseminating news, findings and recommendations from the policy project research to engage these key stakeholders on the need to limit fossil fuel consumption.
• Build a network of media channels and a plan for engaging each media channel to maximize communication impact. This would include analyzing each media channel's target audience and developing appropriate media content. The communications consultant will also provide suggestions/talking points, and help with coordination of interviews or articles related to limiting fossil fuel consumption and climate change issues.
• Coordinate with other NGOs who are also working on addressing relevant issues to maximize communication opportunities and ensure messaging consistency.
• Work with the other team members of NRDC's China Program and colleagues around the world to enhance NRDC's research and advocacy efforts and expertise on energy and environmental policy.
• Perform other assignments to support NRDC's overall communication objectives as needed.
• 3+ years of experience in communications field, preferably related to energy or environmental policy. • Proven experience developing and implementing communications strategies
• Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
• Broad knowledge of clean energy and climate change policy in China.
• Ability to work cooperatively with media and stakeholders, including policymakers, industry, and NGOs.
• Strong Chinese and English language skills, including the ability to write and edit persuasively in both languages.
• Care for details, accuracy and high quality output.
• Self-motivated, and able to work in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure managing multiple tasks to meet deadlines.
• Proven experience working in communications/media, and the public/non-profit sector desired.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a team player.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume, cover letter and writing samples through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please send an email with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com.