The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time Climate Finance Manager for its climate finance initiative focusing on the retail banking sector including FinTech. This position is based in NRDC’s Beijing office and for an initial contract period of 12 months with possibility of renewal.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 3 million members and online supporters. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world's natural resources, public health, and the environment. NRDC works in countries and regions including the United States, China, India, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, and the European Union.
For two decades, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has been a thought leader and trusted adviser to our partners in China. With a highly effective team of more than 40 based in our Beijing office, we have worked hard at both the national and local levels to recommend, develop, and help implement innovative laws, policies, technologies, and market tools that curb pollution and accelerate China’s transition to a clean, low-carbon economy. NRDC's Beijing Representative Office is registered under the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau and supervised by the State Forestry and Grassland Administration of China.
The Climate Finance Manager (CFM) will be responsible for supporting NRDC’s climate finance initiative aimed at mobilizing retail banking assets for climate mitigation, focusing on promoting climate finance policy and developing innovative financial products and implementation approaches in the retail banking sector in China. The CFM will focus on analyzing policy pathways for promoting climate finance, working with NRDC’s climate finance team and partners to coordinate and ensure timely implementation of project activities. The CFM will directly report to the Senior Staff Attorney who works on the climate finance initiative with the Associate Director of China Program as the secondary manager.
• Coordinate with experts and partners to research climate finance policies, standards and implementation pathways focused on retail banking;
• Encourage and coordinate with partner financial institutions to explore financial approaches to climate financing through retail banking;
• Coordinate with project implementation team to set targets, plans and timelines for project activities, and identify new partners;
• Track and analyze China’s climate finance policy developments;
• Undertake field trips, organize meetings, and conduct other related project administrative work as required by the project.
• Master’s degree or above, with at least 3 or more years of relevant work experience in banking and/or financial technology (FinTech companies), retail banking; experience in climate financing a plus;
• Solid knowledge and understanding of China’s finance policies, banking and regulatory systems, retail banking markets, and green finance, especially climate finance;
• Strong research, writing, and speaking skills in both Chinese and English;
• Strong interpersonal and cooperative skills, as well as the ability to work well with government representatives, research institutions, universities, companies, and other NGO partners;
• Ability to efficiently and independently perform various tasks in a fast-paced work environment;
• Must be responsible, pay close attention to detail, and work with efficiency and accuracy.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please reference where you saw this posting. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.