The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time Climate Finance Manager for its climate finance initiative focusing on the retail banking sector including FinTech. This position is based in NRDC’s Beijing office and for an initial contract period of 12 months with possibility of renewal.
NRDC is an international nonprofit environmental organization founded in 1970 in New York state. Its mission is to safeguard the earth—its people, its plants and animals, and the natural systems on which all life depends. With support from more than 3 million members and online supporters and a staff of about 600 scientists, layers and policy experts, NRDC works to promote clean energy development, ecological and environmental protection, and sustainable cities and communities in the United States and internationally, including China.
NRDC has worked in China for more than two decades. We have been supporting China’s efforts in energy efficiency, renewable energy development, climate mitigation, sustainable urbanization, and strengthening environmental law and governance. We are proud to have effectively collaborated with many Chinese academic, governmental, and non-governmental partners to help accelerate China’s green and low-carbon development.
The Climate Finance Manager (CFM) will be responsible for supporting NRDC’s climate finance initiative aimed at mobilizing retail banking assets for climate mitigation, focusing on promoting climate finance policy and developing innovative financial products and implementation approaches in the retail banking sector in China. The CFM will focus on analyzing policy pathways for promoting climate finance, working with NRDC’s climate finance team and partners to coordinate and ensure timely implementation of project activities. The CFM will directly report to the Senior Staff Attorney who works on the climate finance initiative with the Associate Director of China Program as the secondary manager.
• Coordinate with experts and partners to research climate finance policies, standards and implementation pathways focused on retail banking;
• Encourage and coordinate with partner financial institutions to explore financial approaches to climate financing through retail banking;
• Coordinate with project implementation team to set targets, plans and timelines for project activities, and identify new partners;
• Track and analyze China’s climate finance policy developments;
• Undertake field trips, organize meetings, and conduct other related project administrative work as required by the project.
• Master’s degree or above, with at least 3 or more years of relevant work experience in banking and/or financial technology (FinTech companies), retail banking; experience in climate financing a plus;
• Solid knowledge and understanding of China’s finance policies, banking and regulatory systems, retail banking markets, and green finance, especially climate finance;
• Strong research, writing, and speaking skills in both Chinese and English.
• Strong interpersonal and cooperative skills, as well as the ability to work well with government representatives, research institutions, universities, companies, and other NGO partners.
• Ability to efficiently and independently perform various tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
• Must be responsible, pay close attention to detail, and work with efficiency and accuracy.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting.