The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is seeking a full-time analyst to support research focusing on greening industrial capacity cooperation between China and Belt and Road countries, to be based in NRDC’s Beijing office.
NRDC is an international nonprofit environmental organization with more than 3 million members and online supporters. Since 1970, our lawyers, scientists, and other environmental specialists have worked to protect the world's natural resources, public health, and the environment. NRDC works in countries and regions including the United States, China, India, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica, and the European Union.
For two decades, the NRDC has been a thought leader and trusted adviser to our partners in China. With a highly effective team of more than 40 based in our Beijing office, we have worked hard at both the national and local levels to recommend, develop, and help implement innovative laws, policies, technologies, and market tools that curb pollution and accelerate China’s transition to a clean, low-carbon economy. NRDC's Beijing Representative Office is registered under the Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau and supervised by the State Forestry and Grassland Administration of China.
NRDC’s Greening Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) aims to help China strengthen policies and mechanisms for encouraging investments in low-carbon, low emissions projects in BRI countries. A major focus is greening China’s cooperation with Belt and Road countries in industrial capacity, including the iron and steel, cement, chemicals and textiles sectors, by promoting energy efficiency and emissions reductions policies and standards for projects in these sectors.
Under the guidance of their direct supervisor and other senior staff, the Analyst is expected to lead the coordination of research partners, strategy development, and outputs. He/she will play a major role in developing and strengthening partnerships with Chinese research and industrial institutes to develop integrated research outcomes based on real-world analysis and examples relevant to the focused industrial sectors and propose practical recommendations for strengthening investments in low-carbon, low emissions and energy-saving projects. This position also requires strong ability in communication with key stakeholders, including policy makers, experts, and representatives of enterprises and banks. Other routine tasks will include editing research reports, drafting blogs and reports to funders, organizing meetings and conferences, and supporting fundraising.
The Analyst will be based in NRDC’s Beijing office and primarily report to the Director of China Climate and Energy Policy. This position is an integral part of NRDC’s China Program.
• Develop and coordinate Chinese partners to conduct policy research on Chinese overseas investment practices, including analyzing technologies, energy-saving and emission standards, and project financing. Working with partners to produce quality reports and analyses and to provide policy recommendations on policies and standards to green investment.
• Perform own research to supplement partners’ studies, including BRI relevant standards, environmental impact assessments, emissions monitoring and enforcement, and green finance.
• Seek opportunities to communicate or organize communication events to present the results of NRDC supported research and policy recommendations to Chinese policymakers, research institutes, industry, experts, and other relevant parties, to help promote green BRI projects and practices.
• Organize external and internal review of draft research reports by partners and lead the finalization of the reports, the editing as required, and the preparation of executive summaries.
• Cooperate with other members of NRDC’s China Program and U.S. colleagues and offer help as required to enhance NRDC’s research and advocacy efforts and expertise on energy and environmental policy.
• Be a team player, strive for high performance, and take responsibility.
• Master’s Degree in energy, environmental policy, or another relevant field
• 5-7 years of relevant work experience
• Excellent research and writing skills in both Chinese and English
• Adequate knowledge of environmental, clean energy and climate change issues and policies in China and internationally
• Good interpersonal skills and a team player
• Care for details, accuracy and high quality output
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please send an email with the position title in the subject line to email@example.com.